Wednesday, January 20, 2016

You Can Have Your Cake and Broccoli Too


     At some point every December, my husband will put on an apron, and whip out the candy thermometer and a staggering amount of brown and powdered sugar.  These are the tell-tale signs of our kid's favorite Christmas tradition, Danish Fudge!  Instantly, impatient for a taste, little one's will gather around to watch.  This is no ordinary fudge! This fudge might be the very best thing I've ever put into my mouth.  It is creamy, caramel, maple, perfection.  Several years ago, after a taste of this long-anticipated treat, my little boy exclaimed, bursting with feeling,

     "Fudge is my favorite vegetable!"

     It's moments like these that I start to reevaluate my family's nutritional habits.

     I could never be Scrooge enough to do away with my kids favorite Christmas tradition, no matter how sugar saturated it is.  But, I definitely could make small changes to my family's diet, to bring a little more nutritional balance.

     Here are my five favorite, small yet effective ways, to boost the nutrition in my family's diet: 

1.  Think Green
     It is common knowledge, that when it comes to food, green is not a kid friendly color.  It's not an easy job to get our kids to eat leafy greens, but it's not impossible.  Spinach, Kale, Beet and Collard Greens, are all incredible sources of vitamins A, C, and K, and essential for our growing families. My kids would revolt if I asked them to down a Spinach or Kale salad, but, they hardly notice, and even like Kale or Spinach in a smoothie, (especially when we call it a Ninja Turtle Smoothie), or chopped up and thrown in soup.  Kale is perfect sautéed with garlic, and thinly sliced potatoes in Olive Oil.  Add some Parmesan cheese, and even the pickiest eaters will try it. 

2.  Do Away With Meat, (Just Once, or Twice)  
     Double the veggies, and take out the meat.  It's not hard to go meatless, one or two meals a week.  Our family's health will benefit from giving our bodies a break from the often fatty, high in cholesterol , or sometimes highly processed meats.  Nobody will miss the meat, if you make a hearty bowl of Black Bean Chili and cornbread.  Who doesn't love a big, green salad, loaded with lots of fresh veggies, like Green Peppers, Cucumbers, and Tomatoes.  Add some homemade croutons, or garlic bread, and no one will ask, "Where's the Beef"?

3. Sub out the Sugar 
    With Christmas fudge, Valentines cookies, and Halloween candy, sugar seems to be my family's biggest nutritional stumbling block.  Thankfully, there are alternatives to using super refined, white sugar, and you don't have to give up sweet treats all together.  I love to substitute honey for sugar, whenever I can.  Honey is natures perfect gift to all who suffer from a sweet tooth.  It's delicious and sweet, works incredibly well in any recipe that asks for sugar, and it's good for you!  Did you know?  Honey is loaded with "flavonoids, antioxidants which help reduce the risk of some cancers and heart disease",  says an article on the benefits of honey, on care2.com.  I'm also a big fan of using pure Maple Syrup, and my new favorite, Coconut Sugar, as sugar replacements.  

4.  Try Something New 
      Sometimes we get stuck making the same list of meals for our families, over and over and over.  Having favorites we make often is great, but adding some variety to our meal repertoire can add some new and needed nutrition.  For example, who would have thought that my baby would love Hummus and Sushi, or that my four year old would be crazy about Asparagus and Artichokes?  I would never have known if I had been afraid to introduce them to new foods.  Try something new!  Your kid could be crazy about Eggplant Parmesan, or mashed Turnips.  You never know until you try.

5.  Magic Muffins
     Okay, this is my very favorite nutrition secret, by far.  We have a copy of a recipe for my husband's grandma's, very delicious Banana Bread.  I'm not one to mess with tradition, but in my ongoing attempt to bring balance to my families diet, I have learned that with a few, well a lot, of substitutions,  I can make a ridiculously healthy version of grandma's recipe, that is every bit as delicious.  I make these muffins regularly for my family, and here lies the magic, nobody would ever know I made any substitutions, if I didn't tell them.  I share with you now, the muffin recipe that will change your life...


Banana Muffins  (original)           
1/2 C. butter or margarine                                          
2 eggs                                                                         
1 C. mashed bananas, (about 3 bananas)                
2 C. all-purpose flour                                                  
1 C. sugar                                                           
1/8 tsp. salt                                                               
1/2 tsp. baking soda                                                     
                                                                                      
 Banana Muffins (Healthified!)
1/2 C. Coconut Oil (sometimes I still use butter,
because I really like butter).
 2 T. Ground Flax seed, mixed with 6 T. water
1 C. mashed bananas                      
2 C. White Wheat Flour
1 C. Honey or Coconut Sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Bake at 325, until a toothpick inserted into muffin comes out clean. 


Today's a new day; let's make it purposeful!

Kara


         

1 comment:

  1. I think I will try this but with 1/2 cup honey. I'm using natural yeast now so I may add that and some mini chocolate chips as a bargaining factor. Thanks for the recipe Kara.

    ReplyDelete