Friday, January 6, 2017

A New Way to Look at New Year's Resolutions

I've never liked January.  What's to like?  Christmas with all it's warmth and light and fun is packed away in red and green plastic totes until next year.  You no longer have a good excuse to eat just one more cookie or piece of fudge, and worst of all, the radio stations have swapped out Sinatra singing "Silent Night", for Bieber singing, "Baby". 

As much as I dislike this cold and dismal month, I have always appreciated the tradition of making resolutions that comes along with the rolling around of a new year.  I've always loved the opportunity to write down on paper the best version of myself, the self I aim to be.  I love the hope, realistic or not, that goal by goal, day by day, I can improve and learn and become a better me.  Isn't it a beautiful thing to know that despite past mistakes, (you know, mistakes like giving up on blogging for several months), "tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it."
(L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables)

Benjamin Franklin, the very embodiment of resoluteness, (See his famous 13 virtues), is known to have said:

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." 

As with most things that came out of Benjamin Franklin's mouth, I can see the wisdom in what he says.  I am a little baffled however, at the idea that it takes courage to own up to one's faults.  In my experience, I've always felt like my faults were so glaringly apparent, that whether I am courageous or not, there is no denying that I am the owner of many.  The "resolution to mend" our faults, I have to agree, takes a heap of courage.

Most of us are really good at making resolutions to eat healthier, run a marathon, or to learn to play the piano, but less effective at accomplishing these goals.  Often we feel the exhilaration that comes with our new ambitions, we move forward with the best of intentions, only to pitter out and give up when things get tough. 

Why is it so easy to give up?

Could it be because we are taking the wrong approach?  I think that our trouble with keeping resolutions comes because we expect too much, too soon.  Becoming our best selves is a process, a journey, not a giant leap, to success.  It's ok, on a journey, to sometimes get side-tracked, or stop to rest a while, as long as we continue to correct our course, get back on the path, and as long as we never, ever, give up. 

I'm a big believer in dreaming big, and setting our sights high, but setting a lofty resolution like say, sewing a new dress, is a process.  Don't be discouraged if it's difficult to make a new dress.  Growing and learning are hard.  Break down your goal into attainable, small steps.  Start by learning to thread the sewing machine.  Next learn how to read a pattern.  Talk to friends and family love to sew.  Watch YouTube videos, check out a book from the library, don't be afraid to rip out the stitches when you make a mistake and try again. 

One small step at a time in the right direction is progress and success!

So get out there my friends!  Chase after those goals to read Dickens, learn to play Chess, knit a sweater, or play more tennis.  Remember to be patient with yourself as you move step by step toward your best self.

Today's a new day; let's make it purposeful!
Kara









1 comment:

  1. Wonderful advice!! Thank you!
    I saw a commercial and the overweight man is sweating and huffing and puffing as he jogs down the street. He pauses to check how far he's gone on his watch...0.03 miles! OH my goodness we laughed! But his determination gave me inspiration. JUST DO IT! Start, try, and keep going! Even if its slow and even if you have a set back. Don't quit. Im going to try!!!

    ReplyDelete