Tuesday, September 20, 2016

To All The Hopeless Fall Romantics

I am not a patient person.

Bing Crosby can be heard dreaming of a "White Christmas", well before Halloween in my house.  Often, I just can't help myself, and I sneak a cheesy Hallmark Christmas movie in August, when no one is looking.  I plan the details of the perfect Thanksgiving centerpiece much further in advance than is necessary, and even though tomorrow marks the first official day of fall, cinnamon, apples, pumpkins, and even unnecessary yet totally irresistible sweaters, have already made a significant appearance in my home. 

I am in love with all things Autumn.  What's not to love about a season that ushers in cooler temperatures after a long, hot, summer.  The world seems to transform over night from a monochromatic landscape of green, to a breathtaking patchwork of vibrant red, orange, and yellow.  Where I live, the leaves have yet to change, and the temperatures have only just this week begun to dip down below the 80's mark.  Even so, I have been bitten by the Fall bug, and yesterday I completely indulged in all my fall favorites. 

I pulled in to a nearby farm stand, and resisting the urge to buy as many pumpkins as I could fit in my car, settled instead on a bag full of locally grown apples, and one small pumpkin.  I had to make a quick stop at the grocery store and the first item that I put in my cart was a gallon of apple cider, not on my list, but I couldn't resist.  I also made a stop at a favorite local bakery for a loaf of cinnamon bread.  Apples, cider and cinnamon bread...a mouthful of happiness.  I will absolutely be heading back soon to the farm stand for more apples, and I'm sure that apple cider will be a regular thing at my house this fall, but as delicious as that cinnamon bread was, It's not very often that I can bring myself to pay that much for a loaf of bread, even in honor of my favorite season. 
                                                                                       uncrampyourstyle.wordpress.com

Unable to give up cinnamon bread all together, it's become necessary to find a good recipe for perfect cinnamon bread I can make at home.  For all you hopeless Autumn romantics like me, I share this recipe in hopes of saving your budget and  your fall sensibilities.

Because Ree Drummond has never let me down before, I chose this perfect looking recipe from thepioneerwoman.com.

1 cup Milk
  • 6 Tablespoons Butter
  • 2-1/2 teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
  • 2 whole Eggs
  • 1/3 cup Sugar
  • 3-1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 1/3 cup Sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons Cinnamon
  • Egg And Milk, Mixed Together, For Brushing
  • Softened Butter, For Smearing And Greasing

  • Melt butter with milk. Heat until very warm, but don't boil. Allow to cool until still warm to the touch, but not hot. Sprinkle yeast over the top, stir gently, and allow to sit for 10 minutes.

    Combine flour and salt.

    In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix sugar and eggs with the paddle attachment until combined. Pour in milk/butter/yeast mixture and stir to combine. Add half the flour and beat on medium speed until combined. Add the other half and beat until combined.

    Switch to the dough hook attachment and beat/knead dough on medium speed for ten minutes. If dough is overly sticky, add 1/4 cup flour and beat again for 5 minutes.

    Heat a metal or glass mixing bowl so it's warm. Drizzle in a little canola oil, then toss the dough in the oil to coat. Cover bowl in plastic wrap and set it in a warm, hospitable place for at least 2 hours.

    Turn dough out onto the work surface. Roll into a neat rectangle no wider than the loaf pan you're going to use, and about 18 to 24 inches long. Smear with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Mix sugar and cinnamon together, then sprinkle evenly over the butter-smeared dough. Starting at the far end, roll dough toward you, keeping it tight and contained. Pinch seam to seal.

    Smear loaf pan with softened butter. Place dough, seam down, in the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 2 hours.

    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

    Mix a little egg with milk, and smear over the top. Bake for 40 minutes on a middle/lower rack in the oven


    Remove from the pan and allow bread to cool. Slice and serve, or make cinnamon toast or French toast with it.
    Today's a new day, let's make it purposeful!
    Kara

    1 comment:

    1. Trying this soon!!! YAY! I would much rather you bring me a loaf, but I'll try my best.

      ReplyDelete