Monday, July 18, 2016

30 Day Comfort Zone Challenge

   


      I am not a runner.  There.  I said it.  I've been living in denial for over twenty years now, maybe longer.  There is something about running that I've always been drawn to.  There's something so romantic about waking at the crack of dawn, lacing up my very cool Adidas, and running for miles, confident, fast, and strong.  My experience with running however, has been nowhere near this romantic ideal in my head.  The reality of me as a runner goes a little more like this...Stumble out of bed, well after the crack of dawn, lace up my not so stylish, pink running shoes that my well intentioned husband bought me for Christmas a couple of years ago, and hit the trail with initial motivation and confidence, only to be quickly overrun, by the end of mile one, with an overwhelming desire to be at home reading a book, and never, ever, run again.  And yet, a couple of days later, I willingly, and excitedly, lace up my unattractive running shoes, and do it all over again.  Why do I torture myself?  I am not a born runner.  Why do I persist in trying?  I like the challenge.  I like the growth.  I like the dream of being a runner, and that is enough motivation to keep on trucking.


     Whether it's running, or baking, or Shakespeare, or speaking in public, we all have areas in our life that are entirely outside of our comfort zone.  It's certainly easier to cruise along, well within the boundaries of what is familiar, and easy, and comfortable.  Living life on this cruise control setting however, leaves little opportunity for growth and adventure.  What could we gain by expanding our comfort zones, by taking a risk, trying something knew, or enduring a little awkward, for a big life experience. 

     I don't think that it's necessary to take giant leaps out of our comfort zones to be successful.  Little
steps are none the less, steps in the right direction.  It is in the daily, purposeful, choices we make, that we expand our comfort zones, a little at a time.

     I'm a sucker for a challenge, so here goes.

     I'm going to challenge myself, (and you), to a:

   30 Day Comfort Zone Challenge!

    
      Each day for the next month, I am going to push the limits of my comfort zone.  I am a fan of slow and steady, so I may not jump out of a plane, or wrestle an alligator, (you never know), but I will stretch myself in the direction of my dreams, and steadily and perhaps even awkwardly step foot outside of my circle of comfort. 

     Will you join me?  What have you always wanted to try?  Will you finally attempt to make Chicken Tikka Masala for dinner, or convince your spouse to take a Ballroom dancing class with you?

     Let me know what you try, and I'll keep you posted on my small, daily, steps toward the purposeful.

Today's a new day!  Let's make it purposeful! 
Kara

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the running! I watch Ryan's races and they look so fun, but then when I try running it isn't so fun anymore. I'll try to challenge myself! I'll keep you posted on what I try.

    ReplyDelete