Thursday, July 28, 2016

Comfort Zone Challenge - Day 7


It is a well-established truth, that I have little to no natural talent when it comes to running.  (See "30 Day Comfort Zone Challenge")   To be completely honest, I did win every field day race but one, in second grade, but those glory days faded fast after elementary school.

I have been trying to be a runner for most of my life, and sadly, I've always been a lot better at reading articles on running, than running.  My lack of talent, though frustrating, hasn't weighed too heavily on me however, because I knew I was trying my best, and I was proud of that.  I've even managed to run in a couple of 5k races, over the years.  (Very, very, slowly.)  Those long, arduous, 3 miles however, are the very extent of my ability.  In all my years of running I haven't been able to move past the giant, impenetrable, wall that is 3 miles.  I have honestly always thought that this might really be the extent of what my legs are capable and handling.

Questioning my limits has become my new favorite hobby, so yesterday, I dared to go where I have never gone before...I was going to run 4 miles, even if it killed me!

Not willing to face running outside in the South, in July, (a comfort zone challenge for another day, perhaps), I stepped onto the treadmill, with a healthy mix of determination and fear.

It took forever, and it wasn't pretty, but I ran FOUR miles!

I'm beginning to feel invincable!

Today's a new day, let's make it purposeful!
Kara



1 comment: