Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Comfort Zone Challenge - Day 1

For my first day of the comfort zone challenge, I decided to face my culinary nemesis.

I am a cooking show junkie.  I've been watching Martha Stewart, Ree Drummind, and Paula Dean make cooking look easy, for years.  Inspired and motivated by my favorite cooking mentors, I've ventured deep into the culinary world, attempting breads and pastries, currys and stews, meatballs and marinara, and a myriad of other complicated and intricate recipes, with excitement and confidence.  In all these years of cooking however, I've never dared to undertake the mother of all intimidating recipes...

The Formidable Soufflé!

I've longed for years to be part of the culinary elite who could pull of such a feat, but fear of failure has kept me from trying.  Yesterday, in the name of comfort zone redefinition, I faced my fear of separating eggs, and whisking stiff peaks, and attempted to make a soufflé for the first time.  It felt amazing, just to give it a shot!  I have to say, it wasn't easy.  I was an anxious mess, worrying about getting the details right, and achieving that puffed perfection that makes a soufflé.  When the moment of reckoning came, and I carefully opened the oven to remove my hopefully perfect soufflé, it was...ah, not so perfect.  The signiture soufflé puff that I was hoping for was wimpy, at best.  I felt as deflated as my soufflé looked.  I so wanted to nail this recipe!  I was pretty disappointed at first, until I remembered that perfection is not the object of stretching our comfort zones.  It is in the trying that we truly find success.  Plus, it tasted amazing, and most importantly, I made it!  I made a soufflé!

What will you do to grow your comfort zone today?  Share in the comments!  I'd love to hear about it!

Today's a new day, let's make it purposeful!
Kara

2 comments: