Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Comfort Zone Challenge - Day 5



Vivid in my mind is the memory of my bridal shower.  I remember feeling loved, and slightly overwhelmed,  surrounded by family and friends, and piles and piles of toasters, crockpots,  picture frames, and books with advice on marriage.  I remember my mom sitting next to me while I opened gifts, faithfully writing down, in meticulous detail, everything about each gift:  "Floral print bath towels, Aunt Hortencia,  left-handed, olive green, oven mitt, Cousin Mildred."  (I'm taking some artistic liberties with names and gifts to make things more interesting).

I remember thinking that my mom's faithful record of the gifts, so that I could send out dozens of "Thank You" cards, was a bit excessive and unnecessary.  I was, after all, offering a heartfelt thank you, in person, after each gift I opened.

I remember the list of names.  I remember my mom's gentle yet persistent reminders to send out the "Thank You" cards.  I remember putting off this task.  And, I'm ashamed to say, I remember my mom finally taking over, and sending out the cards herself.

Nineteen years later, I am ready to mend my ways, make my mom proud, and show my gratitude for people I love, by writing a few well-deserved, and long overdue "Thank You", cards.

I sat down this morning, with my pen in hand, and wrote a sincere note of thanks to the first five people that came to mind.  It was easier than I thought it would be!  As soon as I thought of a specific person, it wasn't hard to recall many reasons to be thankful for them in my life.  I'm pretty sure that I could repeat this exercise every day for the rest of my life, and never struggle to think of five more people who deserve my thanks.

Sharing my gratitude felt great!  I might even start making detailed lists!  I will, absolutely, do my best to remember that five minutes and a stamp is a pretty easy and effective way to show thanks.

Today's a new day, let's make it purposeful!
Kara

2 comments: