Friday, July 29, 2016

Comfort Zone Challenge - Day 8

I am a farmer's market frequenting, veggie loving, health nut.  Fresh vegetables give me the same kind of thrill now, that hearing Tiffany on the radio gave me as a 5th grader.  I can't get enough of Artichokes and Asparagus, Swiss Chard and Kale.  I will happily eat any vegetable put on my plate, unless it's Eggplant, Okra or Brussell Sprouts, in which case I will hide them in my napkin when nobody's looking.

I am definitely uncomfortable with Eggplant, Okra and Brussell Sprouts, which in this challenge means...I have to eat them.

This was no easy challenge for me.  Even putting said vegetables into my cart at the grocery store was a challenge.  I decided to keep the preparation and cooking of the veggies pretty simple, so I could get the full effect of their natural flavors.  No cheating by cooking them with garlic and bacon, or smothering them in lots of sauce or cheese to cover up the flavor.  I decided to roast them in the oven with only a little oil, and some salt and pepper.
                                               



There I sat, face to face with a plate full of my veggie enemies.  This was do or die.  I put the first forkful in my mouth and...they still tasted like Eggplant, Okra, and Brussell Sprouts, but they weren't too bad!  Ok, Okra was still pretty bad, but I actually kind of don't hate Brussell Sprouts and Eggplant very much.  They won't probably make it to the top of my favorite veggies list, but I won't turn up my nose to Eggplant and Brussel Sprouts in moderation  I might even throw them on the menu now and then.  If you've got a recipe for Eggplant or Brussell Sprouts, (and maybe even Okra), that you really love, please share!  I'm determined to pull my family onto the misunderstood vegetables band wagon with me.




Today's a new day, let's make it purposeful!
Kara







1 comment:

  1. This made me smile. I don't like okra, either. I'll eat eggplant as long as it's not rubbery (meaning, if someone who actually knows how to cook it makes it and not me). Ryan loves brussel sprouts and I tolerate them.

    ReplyDelete