Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Comfort Zone Challenge - Day 6






I like to think that I can do a lot of things pretty well.  I can jump rope, I can shuffle a deck of cards, and even do that cool bridge trick, I can hold my own at a knee war on the trampoline, I can walk the dog with a yo yo, blow a giant bubble with bubble gum, and I can even do that timeless break dancing move, "The Worm".  (A skill I've possessed since the third grade.)   I can do a lot of things, but I can not play the piano.

I used to have high hopes of playing the piano beautifully.  I told my parents of this desire when I was ten years old.  With faith in my ardent promise to practice, my parents bought a piano, and signed me up for lessons.  I had a always loved music, and I was sure that playing the piano would come easily to me.  It didn't.  All those little black notes..."Every good bird does fly", "FACE".  So many fingers, so many keys. treble clef, bass clef, sharps and flats, it made my head hurt!  I just wanted to play music; this felt more like math!  I struggled to read notes and to play well for two years, and didn't progress like I wanted.  Finally, feeling defeated, I quit.

My love of music never left me, and eventually I found my way to instruments that came more easily to me, like the guitar and the violin.  I found some measure of success playing those instruments but still never progressed much past "Chopsticks", on the piano.

Playing the piano is way outside of my comfort zone.  Way outside as in,  giant leaps outside my comfort zone.  I love to listen to others play, but I've accepted the truth that I will never be good at playing the piano.

Over the last several days, all this comfort zone redefining, has reminded me that we have to challenge our perceived limits if we want to grow.  Fine.  I'll give it another go.

I sat at the piano, determined, but painfully aware of my lack of skills.  I picked a song to attempt, that I have loved for years, "Sheep May Safely Graze", by Bach.  My husband, who plays the piano beautifully, often plays this song, and each time, I find myself drawn into the room to get a better listen.  Surely the hopes of mastering such a beautiful song will keep me motivated to keep on trying, even when it's difficult.

Still finding it necessary to repeat "Every good bird does fly", embarrassingly frequently, I slowly but surely began to play the song.  After 45 minutes of struggling, I can now officially play the first eight measures...of the right hand.  This is wimpy progress, I know, but it's progress.

I'm determined to keep trying.  Maybe one day I will be able to draw someone into the room, just to get a better listen, instead of covering their ears and running for the door.

Today's a new day, let's make it purposeful!
Kara

No comments:

Post a Comment