Monday, August 1, 2016

Comfort Zone Challenge - Day 9


I blame my high school debate class. 

I'm a pretty laid back, easy going girl, most of the time.  I am skilled at avoiding argument and confrontation, and biting my tongue to keep the peace...at least until someone brings up politics, then I just can't help myself.

I grew up in a home with very strong political beliefs.  I found myself, early in my high school years, questioning a few of the political ideals of my family.  I didn't just ask questions, or have a casual conversation about my ideas.  I argued and lectured, claimed to know best, and let myself get angry and condescending.  I am embarrassed to admit that not much has changed.  When something I feel strongly about is challenged, I'm still likely to have a very Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde experience. 

I don't need to tell you that there is plenty of political talk happening right now, and plenty of strong opinions to be heard.  I think it's great to stand up for, and speak out on what is important to you. To be active politically is a good thing...just not the way I've been doing it.

A couple of days ago, while visiting with some friends, I found myself in a situation that could definitely have brought on my political Dr. Jekyll.  The conversation turned to politics, and I was outnumbered 2 to 1 by opposing political views.  I disagreed with a lot of what was said, but in a definite moment of growth for me, I found myself actually listening and respecting my friends opinions, and then sharing mine with the same level of conviction, but without the argument.  It turns out that it is possible to have a conversation about politics, and not be feisty and argumentative!

It is definitely outside of my comfort zone, to listen to others' political views, and not shove my own down their throats. 

I have to say that it feels much better to talk politics, and not yell politics. 

Today's a new day, let's make it purposeful!
Kara

 

5 comments:

  1. Love it! We never know how much we care or how strong our oppinions are until you get together with somebody who doesn't agree with your worldview. Therefore - I am Trump all over and proud of it! He is a sexy and confident beast! My kind of guy - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are testing my resolve here, aren't you? 😀 I can do it! I can have a discussion about Trump and not get angry...probably. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. MY FRIEND! I have never seen Dr. Jekyll come out of you! I have seen the Incredible Hulk however....Christmas circa 2012!?!? I love how openminded and considerate you are. You were a fabulous sounding board for all kinds of my crazy thoughts and I love you for it! I always try to channel my inner Kara!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS I would LOVE to hear YOUR current political thoughts...maybe that goes right along with this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Chanel, I miss you!! How is possible that I forgot about about that amazing Christmas moment? It's definitely time for a rematch! You, runner of half-marathons, would crush me!
      I'll send you an email so we can talk more politics...or maybe I'll surprise you, and call you on the phone!!

      Delete