Friday, August 19, 2016

Comfort Zone Challenge - Day 23

                                                                                            Red Cross, quotesgram.com

I remember the words of my doctor, years ago, after I had completed some lab work, and learned of my blood type for the first time.  He told me that my blood type was very rare, and that if I ever needed to, I could make a lot of money by selling my blood.  My first thought was, "ooh, rare blood!"  I had one ridiculous minute of feeling like a super hero with extra special blood coursing through my veins.  My next thought was, "If I have such rare blood, I should donate blood as often as I can."

I've had this thought in the back of my mind for years.  Unfortunately, I've become very good at pushing it way, way, back into the dark corners of my mind, and sometimes ignoring it all together.  I've seen signs like the one above, or learned of a blood drive taking place in my community, and felt a surge of conscientiousness, knowing I should donate, and then quickly coming up with a myriad of excuses why I just couldn't:  I'm just too busy that day, I'll do it next time, it takes too long to donate, I think I might be getting sick, and on and on. 

Donating blood has become one of those things that I know I should do but just don't, like flossing every day, or eating three servings of vegetables, or taking a daily vitamin, or getting to bed early.

Yesterday, with determination to finally overcome the excuses, and do what I knew was right, I drove to the Red Cross Donation Center,, walked bravely to the door, and...it was closed.

Not to be deterred, I came back during regular business hours, this time bringing along my oldest daughter, who it turns out is much braver than I am, and willingly came along when I asked. 

Sitting in the waiting area, reading over the very comprehensive paperwork that one must read before each donation, those same uncomfortable feeling that had kept me from donating blood for so long, began to creep in.  Reading the paperwork was a little like an interrogation, asking page after page of questions to determine my eligibility.  I was suddenly overly worried about everything I read.  Oh wait, I was in Spain in the 90's, maybe I can't donate after all.   Or, maybe this cold I have would make it unwise to donate today. 

I persisted through the uncomfortable, and even the unexpected finger prick, and was soon taking it easy in a very comfortable chair, ready to donate.  The process is simple, the pain was minimal, and from the time I sat down in the chair, to the time I was enjoying the complimentary cookies and juice, was only about 15 minutes. 

Another case where facing the uncomfortable head on results in the an experience much less awful than anticipated. 

I will absolutely be heading back to the donation center soon, not just for the juice and cookies, but for the feeling of knowing that I am really helping someone, making a difference, and stretching my comfort zone.  That feeling is worth a little paperwork, a little prick, and a little uncomfortable.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you have rare blood type! You did it!!

    ReplyDelete