Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Comfort Zone Challenge - Day 25

I remember my Freshman year of college, excitedly signing up for as many music classes as I could fit into my schedule.  I was 100% sure that music was the major for me.  I loved my voice lessons, and was having a blast singing in a show choir, and then, everything changed the day I walked into my first music theory class.

This class was my first introduction to music theory.  I don't know what I thought I was signing up for, but I wasn't prepared for what I experienced.  I knew nothing of solfeggio or transposing.  Sight reading gave me panic attacks, and the circle of fifths was a circle of confusion.  I managed to eek by, and pass a couple of semesters of music theory, saved only by my one respite in this very left-brained class, compositions.  By the end of my music theory experience, I had learned two things:  music theory did not come easily to me, and I needed to find a new major.

Music has always played a big role in my life.  I've been privileged to sing in a copious number of choirs, I've played my music in cafe's and farmer's markets, and my children's schools.  I've recorded a cd, and taught guitar lessons to many, all the while avoiding and ignoring music theory as best I could. 

The problem is, without music theory, I've reached a bit of a plateau in my music abilities.  You can only go so far in music, without a basic knowledge of theory.  It's time for me to face my fear, and tackle a little music theory again.

My return to music theory came in the form of a YouTube video, and a supportive, music theory- inclined husband sitting nearby.  I watched this very basic video with rapt attention, determined to find some new understanding.  Things were going great, for the first few minutes.  Intervals, steps, notes, I know all this stuff.  I was feeling pretty comfortable, and then the theory deepened, and that familiar sentiment of, "Whaaaaat?", that inevitably comes whenever I'm in the presence of music theory, returned.  I could have been 18 again, back in my college theory class.  I was uncomfortable.  This wasn't coming easily for me.  I wanted to quit.  Maybe I just needed to accept that theory wasn't something I could master.  Thankfully I had a resource.  I begged for help from my husband, and with a little practice and explanation, I was beginning to figure things out. 

It's funny how if you can find the courage to push through the awkward, clarity and success are usually hanging around close by.

I am well aware that my progress in music theory is minimal, at best.  But, I am proud of the little step I took in the right direction.  Some of the stigma is gone now, and I am determined to return again and again to the confusing world of theory, until I can begin to find some level of comfort there.

Today's a new day, let's make it purposeful!
Kara

No comments:

Post a Comment